Friday, June 21, 2013

Monitoring Videogame Ratings

So when I was growing up, my mother was pretty lenient. Her mother used to abuse her and the rest of her six kids. They would all get beaten, and they were not allowed to have male friends. My mother was also brought up in a pretty religious environment. Her childhood always sounds like hell when she talks about it. So obviously she didn't have any freedoms when she was a child. So she always told herself that she would give her children freedom if she ever had any kids.



My older sister and I had plenty of freedoms. One of mine was videogames. Video games have different rating, some mature and unsuitable for those that are under eighteen and many others. It didn't matter what rating a game was, I was always allowed to have it.



I worked in a shop for quite some time, and this man brought his son in. The son went straight to the game rack, and picked up an 18+ game. bare in mind that this little boy was like 6 or 5 or something. so he picked up the game and was reeling off some of the lines that the characters in the game must have said, and there was swearing involved. The father was like: 'Put that game down, you little idiot.' He ended up shooing the little boy out of the shop, to a chorus of mine and the other staff's laughter. All the way out of the shop, the little boy was still reeling off the lines lol! It was hilarious. I laughed the loudest, and the father did not look happy. He was very embarrassed lmao!



Although I was allowed to play such games around the ages of ten and twelve, I never repeated any of the profanity that I heard, or reenacted any of the violence that I saw. I knew well enough to know that if I had, I would have got a slap from my mother or something.



So yeah, do you keep strict tabs on what game ratings your children are partaking in?






via Smart Health Shop Forum http://feedproxy.google.com/~r/SmartHealthShopForum/~3/hgJrR9dhMLU/11437-monitoring-videogame-ratings.html

No comments: