Thursday, October 2, 2014

Dangers Of Gluten Problem?

I simply had my first consult with with a GI the day gone by, and she or he stated precisely what I anticipated: until I do a gluten problem, I wouldn’t have a transparent celiac prognosis. My query: is a problem value it? I do know the reply is totally different for everybody; I might use a bit of lend a hand determining if it is absolute best for me.


Heritage: began consuming principally paleo 5 years in the past for common well being reasons. Immediately dropped the extra 5-10 pounds I’d been carrying for 20 years, plus my joint pain improved and my lifelong canker sore decreased dramatically. I ate wheat maybe once a month – my bad knee would hurt the next day, but that would be about it.


One year ago ago I did a 23andme test and learned that I have HLA-DQ 2.5 and 8. I decided to cut gluten out completely as a precaution so I wouldn’t get celiac in the future. I did not worry about cross-contamination at home or in restaurants, however.


Eight months ago (5 months after going gluten-free) I started having lots of upper GI symptoms, along with fatigue and weight loss. Had lots of testing, basically normal. My endoscopy showed increased lymphocytes, but no villus blunting; celiac panel was normal, as one would expect after a year gluten-free.


My nutrient tests came back normal, so I know I’m not malabsorbing. So I guess my immune system is on alert, as evidenced by the lymphocytes, but there’s no damage. I have improved somewhat over the past couple of months (taking lots of supplements).


I’m fine with never eating wheat again – that was my plan before I got sick anyway. But being super-paranoid about cross-contamination when away from home is pretty disruptive, and doing that for the rest of my life if it’s not necessary does not sound good! I started being strictly gluten-free after my biopsy, and I’ve found it quite stressful. I’m talking about asking restaurant workers to change gloves, not eating anything that’s been chopped on a cutting board that ever had wheat on it – stuff like that.


Since wheat never gave me terrible symptoms in the past, I’m not too concerned about a gluten challenge making me feel awful. I’m much more worried about damaging my gut and making my intestines more permeable, which could lead to antigens leaking into my bloodstream and triggering an autoimmune disorder. I’ve not been able to find much info about whether this concern is warranted.


As I see it, I have 3 options:


1. Do the gluten challenge

2. Assume I have celiac and do the super-strict gluten-free thing forever

3. Assume I have some kind of reaction to gluten, stay firmly gluten-free, but not worry so much about cross-contamination (since my gut has been undamaged while doing this)


I’m inclined to forgo the gluten challenge for now. I have hopes that checking out will support at some point, and folks in my state of affairs will be capable of get identified with out the sort of lengthy gluten problem. However, I am nonetheless undecided!


I would like to listen to enter from someone! Is there any actual possibility all for doing the gluten problem, or am I being paranoid?




The post Dangers Of Gluten Problem? appeared first on Smart Health Shop Blog.






via Smart Health Shop Blog http://ift.tt/1tleOog

No comments: