Saturday, March 30, 2013

Beginning/Intermediate Running Info!

This is a thread to give tips and advice to new runners or people thinking about getting into running (and possibly intermediate level runners).



Let me start off by saying I am NO means a running expert. I never ran track or cross country in high school or college. I simply decided to get into running in college while at the gym. I have done it all with running...I've dropped 40lbs just by running, gone through multiple injuries, ran plenty of races in the city and improved my mile time by 5 minutes in a few months. If you disagree with anything, feel free to correct me...I am by no means saying these are 100% true, but I have experienced all of them, so I just thought I'd share my advice.



1) When you FIRST start to get into running, do not overwork yourself. I have done it, and I got a case of "runner's knee" and had to take off about 3 weeks immediately after my second run. Don't push yourself for miles and miles in hopes your body will adjust faster and you'll get in better shape faster. Running takes time and you need to slowly work yourself up to it.



2) First time runners (especially ones with more body mass) have complained their body gets itchy when they first start to run. This is completely normal...it is your blood vessels opening up to allow your blood to flow properly. It can be annoying, but think of it as your body doing the work it should be doing.



3) Cramping is something a beginning runner will encounter. I hear it's from your diaphragm pushing up against your other parts of the body during breathing, but either way, don't fret. What has helped for me is to keep an upright posture while running. If your right side hurts, breathe in through your nose when your right foot hits the ground, and breathe out of your mouth when your right foot then hits the ground again. Over time, the cramps will reduce and before you know it you will be running without cramps. They are normal, just fight through them.



4) If you ever feel pain or discomfort in your legs, knees, shins, etc...stop running. I have thought that maybe pain would go away and I would get used to it, but no. You don't want to afford running on something that is injured or not ready for that type of exercise. Get off it, use RICE and wait for it to get better. Taking a few weeks off at most to help it is better than injuring it worse. Once you feel better, don't go full force back into running. Maybe get your leg strength up by biking and/or doing leg exercises or using leg machines before you fully go back to running. It varies on the injury, but I have found all of these useful.



5) A new pair of shoes/insoles is a must. Those old, raggy shoes from a year or two ago will only become a burden. Shell out the money, you will NOT regret it. Also, if you have knee problems, try wrapping your knee with a wrap or invest in a brace. Very helpful.



6) As for which type of running is best, it depends on your goals. To increase my endurance, I have just ran a few times a week and increased the frequency/intensity as time went on. To drop fat, I incorporated interval training as well. But the important thing is to just get your heart rate up and keep it there. I'm sure the internet has many workout programs that will be just right for you.



7) Stretch before AND after running. You may find that before you run, you can't even touch your toes, but after a run you can get your entire hand on the bottom of your foot. Now imagine your muscles going through that strain before a pre-run stretch. It's not fun to think about. Stretching is probably the most important thing you can do to prevent injury.



8) Don't stress. You may have a good run one day, and then the next run you may find you can't endure the run you had previously. That doesn't mean you aren't making progress. Your body needs time to adjust. Basketball players don't score 50 points every game. In fact, when they do, they might score 20 the next. Doesn't mean they are getting worse. What matters is over time, your body is generally getting more accustomed to enduring longer and more intensive runs (I've seen this with weight as well. People weigh themselves every day. They may weigh 170 one day then 172 the next and feel miserable. Do not do this. your body weight fluctuates to at most 3 lbs just by water weight alone. Factor in water you drink during your workout, how much food you have in you, and that's a few extra lbs as well. Weigh yourself every 1-2 weeks and if you're doing everything right, you will not see these spikes).



9) Music will make your workouts a lot easier. If I forget my music I will gladly make the 20 minute drive home for it. I cannot run without it...it clears your mind and makes the run bearable (and in some cases, enjoyable).



10) To not ramble much, I will finish by (not to be mean or condescending) saying don't be stupid. If your body can't take something, slow it down. If your knee keeps hurting even with rest, see a doctor. Don't try to run a marathon your first workout. Better safe than sorry.





Feel free to ask any questions and I'll be sure to give my input as well. Happy running.






via Smart Health Shop Forum http://feedproxy.google.com/~r/SmartHealthShopForum/~3/a4E416Cyh0c/9915-beginning-intermediate-running-info.html

No comments: