Wednesday, August 22, 2012

"Eggplant benefits" update

Dear derek,

You are subscribed to the thread "Eggplant benefits" by Pat, there have been 4 post(s) to this thread, the last poster was steph84.
http://forum.smarthealthshop.com/health-wellness/6589-eggplant-benefits.html

These following posts were made to the thread:
************

http://forum.smarthealthshop.com/showthread.php?t=6589#post100706
Posted by: FirstBaby2011
On: 08-21-2012 02:46 PM


---Quote (Originally by AmazingP)---
Someone told me that actually eggplants are not vegetables but fruits just like tomatoes. Yeah, you are right, eggplants might be considered to be healthy because despite being it relegated to be almost worthless we are now finding out that it got some benefits we can use. It is really time for eggplants to be recognized for all of its worth. :)

What are good ways to cook an eggplant? Please share some of your recipes. :)
---End Quote---

I do not have a formal recipe, but my husband likes to make his version of "eggplant fries". Preheat the oven to 375 degrees. Then you will need to cut the eggplan up into shapes similar to french fries. Next, my husband allows the eggplant to "sweat" or dry out some. You will quickly notice the liquid being drawn out. While this process is taking place, he then takes about a handful of almonds and grinds them in the food processor. I imagine that you could use almond meal, breadcrumbs, panko, or any other preferred breaded mixture. After this, he adds garlic powder, salt, pepper, and about 1 tbsp. of corn starch to the almond mixture. Next, he lightly greases a baking pan with olive oil or coconut oil. Once this is done, he "swirls" the eggplant pieces in the oil. Once they are lightly coated, he dips the pieces in the breaded mixture. The "fries" are laid out evenly in the pan. We usually let the eggplant bake for about 15-20 minutes. Wait to cool and then enjoy! We love this dish with ketchup, of course.
************

http://forum.smarthealthshop.com/showthread.php?t=6589#post100721
Posted by: leyash
On: 08-21-2012 05:19 PM

I just can't get into eggplant. What do you use eggplant for? I think the only thing I've ever heard of was eggplant parmesan.
************

http://forum.smarthealthshop.com/showthread.php?t=6589#post100735
Posted by: MoniqueSeibel
On: 08-21-2012 05:42 PM

The only way I can eat eggplant is in the form of baba ganoush. I've never made it from scratch personally, but whenever I've bought it, it has always been amazing. Very good with some crackers or naan bread. Although, I don't know how diet friendly it is. At least probably not, the way I've had it.
************

http://forum.smarthealthshop.com/showthread.php?t=6589#post100739
Posted by: steph84
On: 08-21-2012 05:47 PM

I just tried baba ganoush recently and it is so good! The first time I really started to like eggplant was in a fried eggplant parm sub sandwich. It was the greasiest, most unhealthiest thing you could possibly eat, but I love that marinara sauce. Those days are behind me and now I just eat baked or steamed eggplant.


All the best,
Smart Health Shop Forum

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Unsubscription information:

To unsubscribe from this thread, please visit this page:
http://forum.smarthealthshop.com/subscription.php?do=removesubscription&type=thread&subscriptionid=14798&auth=c0e0da3e13d400b4b4bb9e39ff292c5a

No comments: